Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Chronicles of Naynia

9/15/07 – Around 8:00pm
After about nine hours on the road, Nay called from Ozona, Texas with an update on her progress.

9/15/07 – Around 10:30pm
After gassing up in Junction, Texas Nay called with a report on the cricket situation there. There were thousands of them…nasty, black, crickets that made driving into and out of the gas station a crunchy affair. Grossed her out to say the least. She tried to snap a few pictures, but they came out blurry. We had a similar infestation this past July. Those who haven’t experienced a Texas black cricket invasion haven’t lived.

She went on to tell me about the ticket she got for going 75MPH in a 65MPH zone (after having slowed from 120MPH!). While we were talking about that, and how far she had to go (about 1.5hrs) before she got to San Antonio: “Oh shit. They got me.” Yep. Another set of flashing lights filled Nay’s rear-view mirror. “I’m getting pulled over again. I gotta go.

She called back about a half hour later with an update. This ticket was for going 94MPH in a 65MPH zone. Ouch!

The total fine was in the neighborhood of $400. We meant to take pictures of the citations Sunday so I could post ‘em here, but we forgot them in her room. As bad as I feel for dear Nay, I did warn her before she left New Mexico: “And watch out for them pesky Texas State Troopers.”

Sunday, 9/16/07
A few days, and 1,1700+ miles later, my friend touched down in Alamoland.

I picked her up at the hotel on I-10 around noon, swinging into the parking spot right as Nay swung open the door. [Big, giant smiles]. She looked fabulous, as always.

I got out of my car and greeted AnnE, who was guarding the door. Once I received my passing grade, I stepped into the room. Cue big hug, a kiss on the cheek, and maybe a hug or two after that as we marveled at seeing one another again after seventeen years. After about 20 minutes we and made for The Casa, with a quick diversion to a friend’s, where I’d left my glasses the previous night.

We got to the house and I introduced Nay to The Warden and The Chillens who greeted her warmly, I expected they would.

Introductions completed, we took AnnE out to meet my pooches and to use the “facilities.” The little wiener dogs growled, postured and sniffed, but were otherwise wienieish. AnnE soon found a place along the side of the house to unleash her long-overdue doggyloggy. As AnnE was a-tremblin’ and a-gruntin’, “Oh shit, your dog hiked on me.” Yes ladies and gentlemen, my little dog Benito (aka Benny) saw fit to commemorate the occasion of this reunion by draining his doggity main vein on poor li’l Nay; her lower leg, ankle, and new Italian shoes, to be precise. What the fuck? I couldn’t believe it. He’d never done anything like that before in his little doggy life. I guess that was his special way of saying, “I think I like you. You mine woman.” ;-)

After a few drinks/beers, the lot of us went to a local barbecue joint. A few pounds of beef & smoked turkey later (and a couple more beers), we got back to the house where we talked and had a few more adult beverages. I took Nay back to her hotel at around 9:30pm. We said our goodbyes and I left her and AnnE in bed, preparing their tired bodies for the next day’s drive.

Update – Monday, 9/17
- Nay was pleased to report that the Boise Breakfast Bitch did not move to San Antonio and acquire employment with the Howard Johnson where she stayed. She did say, however, that the breakfast sucked ass. AnnE validated her contention by puking all over her front seat (including between the seat & the center console) a few minutes after getting on I-10.

Update – Tuesday, 9/18
- Nay rolled into Sunny Baton Rouge Baton Rouge yesterday evening. Apparently, Baton Rouge computer scientists haven’t discovered wireless internet just yet. Dial-up access didn’t even work!
- Also notable is the fact that at least one of the 10 Arby’s in Baton Rouge is pretty fucked up. The response to Nay’s request for 6 whole packages of Arby’s Sauce was, “We don’t give that many.” They gave her 3. They also gave her 2 tiny ketchup packages for her potato bites. Furthermore, they didn’t have salad, and their shake machine was inoperative. Hearing Nay relate that experience was hilarious.

That’s all for now. I’ll report in when she’s completed her 3,371 mile drive, which should be tonight sometime.

Post Script
To say that it was good to see Nay after all these years would be a gross understatement. She and The Warden got along wonderfully and are already making plans for a visit to Florida and maybe even a trip to Central America to visit Bunny and Early. The Chillens asked questions about her, and marveled that we’d known each other for nearly 30 years.

Three things that stand out after this visit
-- Her laugh. It’s the same as it was seventeen years ago – The same as it was when she was 16. It’s infectious, always genuine, and seems to dance its way to one’s ears.
-- Her big ol’ blue eyes. They still have that mischievous, gleam.
-- She is fucking hilarious! She’s always been good at making me laugh. This visit was no exception. Mom used to refer to her as “a pistol” and a “hot shit.” I couldn’t say it better, and I’m sure Bunny will vouch for that!

Nay
Plain and simple – You still fucking rock. Thank you for gracing my home and my adopted city with your wonderful presence. You are indeed a fine human being, and I’ll settle for nothing less than having you as my dear, loving friend for as long as I have left on this earth.