Sunday, February 18, 2007

It's a Gusher!


(It's a Gusher, Continued)
She put a modest number of fries in the basket, lowered it into the hot oil, and put the cover on it. We went about our business, getting the rest of the burger fixin's ready. About 15 seconds after the cover went on the fryer, we looked over and noticed the 400 degree oil boiling over the sides of the container and onto the counter. The Warden quickly unplugged the contraption and removed the cover, after which I lifted the basked out of the oil.

Talk about a fucking mess! Oil covered the little section of counter, was flowing down the front of the cabinetry, down the crack between the stove and the counter, and down the crack between the counter and the refrigerator. Cookbooks, old recipes, and various other stuff that were in the drawer and cabinet under that particular section of counter got inundated. We lost a few recipes and a couple of cookbooks (i.e., they weren't worth salvaging). I managed to salvage most of the hand-written recipes my mother brought back after her stay in China; recipes I'd hoped to try one day.

Monday, when I'm supposed to be revering, honoring and remembering Lincoln, Washington and all those other cats (except maybe one), I'll be pulling the stove and refrigerator out from the wall to clean.

If you don't have any plans, give me a ring and we'll make a slippery, naked orgy out of it ;-)